Working closely within a departmental management team providing solutions to business requirements. Daily operational responsibility to direct, manage and support a number of SSAS Pensions Operation Managers and teams and working with the other Heads of Operations so that business, departmental and individual objectives are achieved whilst ensuring adherence to regulatory requirements and Company governance standards.
- Direct, manage and support a number of SSAS operation leaders/managers who are in turn responsible for a team of SSAS account managers (where appropriate). Communicate effectively with all team members in a timely, clear and concise manner and using the most appropriate communication method in the circumstances.
- Lead, motivate and empower others whilst providing staff with development opportunities, coaching and support, delivered through a proactive hands-on approach via appropriate scheme related and legislative training and assessments to complement processes and procedures across all administration sites within requirements identified by senior management. Ensure there is suitable coaching support for team members in complex scheme related matters. Providing mentoring and appropriate support for complex SSAS related issues.
- Manage performance, development, absence, disciplinary matters, conflict resolution and team issues promptly, impartially, fairly and effectively in line with Company policies, procedures and culture.
- Establish mechanisms that encourage the generation of team spirit, ideas and suggestions, recognising the contribution of others, which improve overall business performance and processes. Role model the WBR group values and drive the cultural changes required to become the best SSAS provider in the market by driving the customer centric and people driven organisation proposition.
- Work with the wider senior management team to identify and contain areas of actual and potential client risk (which may include but are not limited to reputational, financial, legislative, ethical, insurance, bad debt, property issues, re-registrations, etc) and have continuous awareness of concerns over workloads and any team or staff issues, overseeing their solution as appropriate. Liaise with other business areas as appropriate in line with procedural requirements.
- Identify and organise available resource and capacity within SSAS teams, including highlighting resource and gaps in training requirements to line manager. Submit appropriate business cases for resource requirements and conduct interviews as necessary.
- Conduct team meetings and direct reports 1-2-1’s as appropriate and in a professional and effective manner. Manage and conduct probationary, mid-year and annual reviews within business area in accordance with Company policies and timeframes. Review and calibrate departmental rating submissions with line manager. Work with Team Managers to identify, produce and submit suitable cases for promotional progression, in line with budgetary submissions to senior management.
- Provide guidance to teams on the overall strategic direction of the department. Work with senior management to manage change and growth within the SSAS teams and communicate future changes appropriately and positively.
- Ensure that self and team members’ working practices comply with regulatory, compliance and legislative requirements. Awareness of and adherence to Company procedures and policies.
- Manage SSAS team’s workflow, activities and output in line with business objectives, good working practices, procedures, legislation, regulatory requirements, SLAs and other deadlines, proactively highlighting any issues to line manager. Produce MI as and when required on operational activities or allocated projects and review MI and streamline processes to identify where procedures can be improved, simplified or streamlined for the customer journey and cost efficiency drivers
- Manage the ongoing delivery of customer service activities through an approach underpinned by quality and excellence, working by example in line with Company values. Proactively seek opportunities for organisational improvement of service standards, in agreement with line manager.
- Manage all aspects of the acquired SSAS books in accordance with the terms of any outsourcing contract including the required contractual monthly reporting
- Monitor payment of SSAS fees and follow Company procedures for debt recovery and crediting fees.
- Contribute technical expertise where required and continuously maintain and apply specialist and detailed technical expertise and the understanding of different organisational departments and functions. Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of products, services and industry activities, along with an awareness of HMRC and legislative practices and changes relating to all SSAS administration and business products. Be familiar with all technical bulletins and be up-to-date with changes affecting
relevant business areas. Update colleagues and team members accordingly.
- Identify and assist in the documentation and implementation of new processes and procedures in agreement with line manager, senior management and department colleagues. Communicate internal and external procedural changes with other departments as require in a timely and accurate manner.
- Take responsibility for issues, including client queries, case work and case investigation within business area (including areas such as complaints, fee issues, complex debt recovery cases, investigations into take overs, etc as identified by the SSAS Director or MD and identify and present suitable solutions. Communicate with relevant business managers, following through to completion where appropriate, keeping line manager appraised at all stages.
- Ensure all team members follow principles of Treating Customers Fairly in line with Company policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all customer records are being updated and completed for all transactions to meet Company requirements and maintain the integrity of system data.
- Have high level involvement in a range of departmental and Company-wide projects impacting on the SSAS operational area as required and directed by senior management. Take ownership of activities and projects, planning well in advance and take into account possible changing circumstances whilst still achieving deadlines. Delivery of projects within agreement and/or regulatory deadlines in agreement with line or senior management.
- Work with other business areas effectively and professionally in the course of duties and in line with business needs and requirements.
- Attend business meetings as required (internal and external), providing input on areas of expertise and responsibility. This may include attending Trustee Meetings and dealing with clients and IFA’s face to face (as well as via other communication methods) to ensure the smooth running of schemes, resolution of client issues and client retention.
- Lead by example, demonstrating strong interpersonal and client service skills with a positive and flexible approach through all interactions with team members, internal and external customers.
Previous experience (minimum three years) in a management role, with a proven track record of motivating team managers and members of a team to achieve goals and targets, with positive results gained against business objectives in a pension/ member directed scheme environment.
- Ability to lead by example and demonstrate a positive, professional attitude, contributing to the success of the business, proactively building strong working relationships with the team, management team, line manager and external customers.
- Proven experience of managing, training and developing others, particularly in a 1-2-1 environment and able to fairly assess the development needs of team members.
- Previous experience of all areas of performance and absence management, and relationship handling of team members, doing so impartially, fairly and in line with Company policies and procedures.
- Able to accept responsibility for own actions in a flexible, mature and professional manner to manage a variety of tasks and meet business requirements.
- Able to delegate effectively and fairly with a commitment to fairness and quality of service.
- Able to build strong working partnerships across and outside of the organisation and to communicate professionally and effectively in a variety of mediums and a different levels on complex matters and in situations where persuasion and negotiation are required. Able to exercise tact and discretion. Able to train and guide team members in good communication skills.
- Able to manage time effectively, plan activities and projects well in advance and take account of possible changing circumstances, communicating future changes appropriately.
- Have a sound knowledge of Company products and the financial services sector, in particular member directed pensions. Technical expertise in all areas of SSAS and previous experience of managing a portfolio of member directed schemes.
- Current knowledge and understanding of FCA regulations, HMRC and legislative practices in line with Company policies and procedures.
- Display a professional, motivated and pro-active approach to all workplace activities.
- Ability to analyse all other sources of information and make rational judgements from the available information.
- Strong skills and literate in the standard IT programmes, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strong influencing skills and the ability to be flexible in all areas of the business whilst maintaining a committed approach to the organisation.
- Initiative to set high standards for quality and quantity and able to work in a systematic, methodical and orderly way.
- Track record of driving and achieving cultural change and employee engagement
- Minimum GCSE Maths & English grade C or equivalent.
- Educated to A level standard or equivalent.
To apply, please email HR and attach your CV